Paraffin is a toxic byproduct of the oil industry. Paraffin candles are cheaper than beeswax candles, but they are made from a nonrenewable resource: petroleum. Burning them gives off many of the same toxic fumes found in auto exhaust. Paraffin candles are relatively short burning, excessively drippy, and produce a disorganized light spectrum similar to old-fashioned incandescent bulbs. The petrol soot they produce can eventually stain surfaces in your home. They are often filled with artificial fragrances and colors which also produce toxins and stains when burned.